In what ways are we (humans) as a species able to adapt to the changes in our habitat and environment? And what does that imply?
In this Leonardo Art Science Evening Rendezvous (LASER) talk organized in Aalto University on January 28, 2021, the discussants relate to the theme of ADAPTATION / BODIES with critical questions concerning human evolution and the future of the planet. Image credit: Cowriter Project, CHILI Lab EPFL.
Presenters: Pauliina Ilmonen, Adam Zaretsky and Cristina Zaga. The event was moderated by Laura Beloff, Associate Professor of Visual Culture and Artistic Practices at Aalto University. Some of the questions discussed:
- In what ways are we (humans) as a species able to adapt to the changes in our habitat and environment? And what does that imply?
- Are there ways to devise positive strategies (artistic, scientific or other) to transform the acute “shocks” and chronic “stresses” in the global system to not only adapt, but redirect its trajectory?
- In which situations adaptation becomes problematic and leads to unexpected consequences?
- How are pandemics affecting societies and changing our relation to bodies; own and others’?
Presentations were followed by a discussion between the speakers. We invite everyone to join, who are interested to share projects, discuss issues, network, and collaborate together. The LASER Talk is always free and open to the public.
Event site: https://www.aalto.fi/en/events/laser-talks-adaptation-and-bodies-in-context
LASER Talks are an initiative launched by Leonardo/The International Society for the Arts, Sciences and Technology. Aalto University joined the list of LASER Talks hosts in 2020, and the January event was the first-ever held in Finland.
LASER Talks series at Aalto University is organised by:
- Laura Beloff, Professor of Visual Culture and Artistic Practices
- Pia Fricker, Professor of Practice, Computational Methodologies in Landscape Architecture and Urbanism
- Ksenia Kaverina, Doctoral Candidate in the School of Arts, Design and Architecture
- Kirsi Peltonen, Senior University Lecturer in the Department of Mathematics and Systems Analysis
- Nitin Sawhney, Professor of Practice in the Department of Computer Science, and
- Koray Tahiroğlu, Academy Research Fellow in the Department of Media.
The mission of LASER is to encourage contribution to the cultural environment of a region by fostering interdisciplinary dialogue and opportunities for community building to over 40 cities worldwide.
Aalto Laser Website: https://www.aalto.fi/en/news/international-laser-talks-series-will-start-january-28-2021